Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My attitude towards religion is very cynical.  Religion infuriates me.  From my point of view, I cannot even begin to comprehend what it means to have "faith".  Is there something wrong with me?  Or am I perfectly sane?  Well, I know I'm perfectly sane.  I've seen both sides and I know damn well where I stand.  I think the way life unravels has little to do with any outside force.  Although I am very superstitious when it comes to the Laws of Karma, but anyways.  I've been reading a book about Mormon Fundamentalism and it only makes me more upset at how naive people can be.  So Joseph Smith (the founder of the mormon religion) is this dude who used to dabble in the occult.  Ding ding ding, your "this dude is nuts" meter should be going off right now.  After he got out of the occult, he began to hunt treasures using "peep stones".  Sound alarm #2.  Long story short, Joseph used his black magic powers to communicate with an angel that led him to golden tablets that would later be translated into what we know as The Book Of Mormons.  From that point on the church of latter day saints was founded.  

Now what eludes me is the fact that there are people that actually adhere to these teachings.  There is no physical evidence of the golden tablets, so who knows if Joseph is lying or not.  Apparently there were 16 witnesses that claimed they saw the golden tablets, but thats all hearsay.  

What I want to know is what drives someone to believe something so ridiculous?  Polygamy, incest, complete submission and obedience (women), and so on.  I understand that if one is raised a certain way they know no other way.  But what gives anyone the right to exercise such extreme power over another in the name of god.  

I have a lot more to say but I cannot get my thoughts straight.  I wish I could just talk and have the computer write the post for me.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admire your enthusiasm. I would love to have you in one of my theology and religion classes. I do however have to disagree, you are very misinformed. You should consider completing your research before you jump to such conclusions about a subject. To achieve a true prospective, try resources that promote a particular religion as well as those which criticize that subject.
The “Mormon” religion is wonderful and one of my favorites to study and teach, it promotes great values and morality. We should all be so lucky to have a “Mormon” neighbor. Look beyond the rumors, and investigate for yourself. In your condemnation of the “Mormons” you neglected to attack all organized religions, all of which have some aspects of similarity. I know and admire several “Mormons” and hold them in the highest esteem.
Good luck in you quest for knowledge, never stop questioning, this is how we achieve true higher education.